Collinwood Technology Partners takes its name from a middle class neighborhood in Cleveland, Ohio. It is a culturally diverse area with deep working class roots and strong family bonds. The area that became Collinwood was first settled in 1812. In the late 1800s Collinwood was also the site of lakefront vineyards, whose grapes were used in wine production. With the establishment of several vineyards, by the 1870s the Collinwood area had become the largest shipping point in the nation for grapes. In the 1890s the area’s main economic activity was replaced by railroads. By 1890 Collinwood was a major switching point of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern (now CSX) Railroad and the location of its vast freight yards. The Collinwood Railroad Yards eventually included over 120 mi. of track and extensive repair shops, providing the basis for the area's early growth.
Collinwood was a village separate from Cleveland until 1910. The main axis of the village was Collamer (E. 152nd) St. Collinwood was annexed to Cleveland on 21 Jan. 1910. The neighborhood became home to large Irish, Italian, and Slovenian populations. Five Points--the intersection of E. 152nd St. and St. Clair and Ivanhoe avenues--was the commercial hub of the neighborhood. Collinwood was also home to Euclid Beach Park, a popular amusement park along the shore of Lake Erie.
During World War II, Collinwood encompassed one of the heaviest industrial areas in the world. Within its boundaries, in addition to the New York Central yards, were Fisher Body Division of General Motors Corp., Thompson Prods. (TRW, INC.), General Electric Co., Lincoln Electric Co., Eaton Axle (Eaton Corp.), Natl. Acme (Acme-Cleveland Corp), Bailey Meter (Babcock & Wilcox), and a dozen other firms.
The cultural diversity, strong work ethic, and deep relationships formed in Collinwood, the neighborhood, are the foundation of who Collinwood Technology Partners is.